Wednesday, January 4, 2012

SPLURGE vs STEAL: Master Closet Makeover

I recently was the lucky recipient of every woman's dream by winning a closet makeover from two local companies in the Charlotte area.  It turned out to be a huge project, but well worth all of the efforts once it was complete. 

As an interior decorator, I take pride in my home and work hard to make sure that everything is just right.  Unfortunately, over time my closet had become the one room that I could keep the door closed (hey, even Martha Stewart has a junk room!) and skip on the "nickle home tour".  With a busy schedule of being a stay-at-home mom and business owner, my Summer 2011 goal of cleaning out our closet just did not end up happening as planned.

Below are BEFORE and AFTER pictures as well as links to further details about the closet makeover adventure, from organization to installation.  In this particular post I detailed out the expenses of the project (for those who may not be lucky enough to win a closet) to show how much it can cost to create a your own dream closet with a few money-saving tips.  I do have to send out my thanks to the two companies, Simplicity Professional Organizers and Closets By Design of Charlotte, NC, that helped make my closet transformation happen!

Far Wall - BEFORE

Far Wall - AFTER

Shoe Wall - BEFORE

Shoe Wall - AFTER

























SPLURGE vs. STEAL

Organizational Tools

The first part of a closet redo is the dreaded project of pulling everything out and determing what you really need and what you can give away.  I was fortunate enough to have the help of professional organizers, which would be your SPLURGE at approximately $55 per hour.  Simplicity Professional Organizers came in and helped me dig through my 14 X 6.5 foot closet in just one morning, which could be well worth the money if you want to get that part over and done with and get some expert tips on how to stay organized.

Non-slip hangers are a key organizational tool that you can find at Bed Bath and Beyond for $23.99 (with your 20% coupon) for a box of 50.  That's only 48 cents a hanger - STEAL!  Depending on how many clothes you have, it can add up, but is definitely worth the investment by helping keep your closet looking streamlined and organized.  Another STEAL on hangers that I used was Ikea's Bumerang curved wood hangers available in black, white, light wood, or dark wood for $4.99 for 8 hangers (62 cents a hanger).  These work great for pants and also jackets or blazers.

Clear plastic storage bins are also key by allowing you to see what's inside without having to pull them down.  Ikea carries the Samla series in clear or black plastic in sizes ranging from 1 gallon for $1.49 each - STEAL! - to 15 gallon underbed storage containers for $8.99 each.

Want more detail?  Read more on Master Closet Makeover: Step 1 - Organize!

Decorative Tools

Paint is one of the least expensive ways to change the mood of a room and is always a STEAL! (especially if you do it yourself).  This 14 X 6.5 foot closet required two gallons (at approximately $25 each for no-VOC) and a quart of metallic paint ($15) for the stenciling.  The stencil, found online at Cutting Edge Stencils, was $40.  So with a little sweat equity, patience, and $130 (including painting supplies), you can change the look of a room dramatically.

 

HomeGoods is a favorite store of mine when I'm looking for steals.  I found the 7 foot tall full length mirror in the AFTER pictures above for only $100 - STEAL!  I also found the tufted ottoman at HomeGoods in a brown chenille fabric for $80.  With a quick trip to the upholsterers for $115 and 3 yards of printed linen fabric at $9/yard, I got my custom tufted ottoman for $222 - STEAL!

For more tips on how to stencil and further details, read my post Read Master Closet Makeover: Step 2 - Decorate!

Custom Closet Installation

Most of you know that custom closets are definitely a SPLURGE for anyone, with systems sometimes even getting into $10,000+ range.  We have a huge closet, and I asked Closets By Design to design something within the $2,000 budget that was set for the contest.  They did a great job by giving us a few inexpensive additions (valet bar, laundry basket, and belt rack) and kept the costs down by only including shelves and hanging bars in the system.  Overall the value of the closet system was $2500 (they gave us the extra $500 in perks as part of the contest - yay!), which in custom closet standards was a STEAL.  I did add the crown moulding for an additional $350, a definite SPLURGE on my part, but worth it in my opinion!

For more details on the wonderful benefits of hiring closet designers for your custom closet, read my post Master Closet Makeover: Step 3 - Design & Install!

For a true STEAL and a do-it-yourself approach, check out the Allen & Roth closet system at Lowes for a more traditional look, or the Stolmen system from Ikea for a modern feel.

Overall, here is how this project added up:

Organizing Expenses - $595
  • Professional Organizers (2 organizers, $55/hr for 4 hours) - $440
  • 5 boxes of non-slip hangers - $120
  • 7 packages of curved wooden hangers - $35
Decorating Expenses - $452
  • Paint and supplies - $130
  • 7' tall mirror - $100
  • Custom upholstered ottoman - $222
Custom Closet System (with crown moulding addition) - $2850

TOTAL Closet Expenses - $3897

If you didn't have a chance to read my other posts about the closet transformation, below are exerpts from each to peak your interest:
Master Closet Makeover: Step 1 - Organize!
I have a confession to make. As much time, energy, and money I have spent on decorating my home, my poor master closet has lacked the attention it deserves and, over time, I lost control.
Spending 10 years in retail had created quite a collection of clothes, shoes, purses, and accessories that have slowly been mounting in my large walk-in closet over the 5 years we have lived in our house.  And I admit to doing something that we all do - freak out at the last minute when company is coming over and throw various items (from papers, books, small kitchen appliances, etc) in my closet.  Read More
Master Closet Makeover: Step 2 - Decorate!
I'm already feeling better.  The process of getting rid of all of my junk that I didn't need and giving it to other families in need is so cleansing! 
Now it's time to focus on the fun part - decorating!  Yes, I am an interior decorator, and I will decorate my closet.  I think we all remember Carrie's closet in "Sex and the City 2" (available with Spanish subtitles below!) and who wouldn't be inspired by that dream?  My goal was to create a glamorous dressing room but with a much smaller budget and space than Carrie and Big had to work with.  Read More
Master Closet Makeover: Step 3 - Design & Install!
All of the hard work is officially done - organizing, rehanging the clothes, painting, stenciling, and accessory shopping is complete.
I can now kick back and let Laura VanSickle from Closets by Design coordinate the design and installation of the perfect closet system that will meet my husband's and my needs.  Again, we are on a budget here - as much as I would love mirrored doors, spotlights, and drawers with glass pulls like Big and Carrie's closet, we've got to be realistic.  Read More

1 comment:

  1. This looks AWESOME! I absolutely love the stencil work you did. Great job for everyone :)

    ReplyDelete