Wednesday, December 10, 2014

New South Design is Growing Threefold!

We are busting at the seams in my little home office these days based on the fact that New South Design is growing by leaps and bounds! Over the past year I have added not one, but two new members to my team and I am excited to share a bit about both of them.

Sandy Moore has been working with me for the past year and is our indispensable Office Manager. Her hard work behind the scenes keeps our orders going out, shipments coming in, and she also manages all the record keeping, filing, and receipts. She is an amazing asset to our team with her energy and her ability to do just about anything that needs to get done! Below is a bit about Sandy in her own words.

I am a native “Charlotteian” so I have really seen this city grow over the years! My husband comes from a long line of “Matthewsians” or Matthews natives from parents to grandparents. We have a beautiful 11 year old daughter named Nicki, born here in Charlotte.

I have always followed the latest fashion trends. I spent most of my career in retail, working at places like J.Crew, Gap, Chico’s and the Body Shop. I assisted my sister in law with her sport events company for 8 years and also spent time in a seamstress workroom.

I have really enjoyed learning the design end of the business from Melissa this past year! New South Design is a place that makes me excited to go to work everyday because I never know what new and exciting project will be next! Melissa has an amazing gift that gives her the ability to know what will work and what won't, from the color of a lamp to launching a new business “Home Couture,” an off-shoot of New South Design! I personally am drawn to a neutral pallet, but Melissa has shown me how easy it is to add pops of color!!  I think that if you find a “color story” that fits your personal style, that’s a great place to start!! I look forward to an exciting future with the New South Design and Home Couture teams!!!

The most recent addition to our team is our new Junior Designer, Taylor Schaap. Taylor brings an interior design degree with her that includes technical experience that allows her to create computer generated floor plans and 3D room renderings. You will be hearing more from Taylor via our blog as she will be heading up our social media campaign for both New South Design and New South Home Couture. She is already has proven that she's the perfect addition to our team with her design skills, dedication, and wonderful personality! Here is more info below about Taylor by Taylor!

I was born and raised in Syracuse, NY. I attended Cazenovia College in Cazenovia, NY, for interior design. After graduating with my bachelor’s degree, I landed a job in Rochester as a design assistant at a high-end design firm. During my time there I gained a lot of experience in the design process, working with clients, and how the business ran on a day-to-day business. 

My husband and I got married in 2013 and always had a dream to move down south one day to North Carolina. Throughout several trips down here we fell in love with the Charlotte area. The quality of life, career opportunities, and a whole of sunshine and warm weather that Charlotte has to offer was the perfect place we wanted to call home. In Fall of 2014 we took the leap of faith to make our dream a reality and moved down. Over the past few months we have enjoyed making Charlotte our home and look forward to the day when we can start our own family here.

1. What inspired you to become a designer?
When I first started college, I was majoring in business, but didn't enjoy what I was studying and couldn't see myself pursuing that career in the future. So I had to really reflect on what it was that I would enjoy doing for the rest of my life. I remember as a little girl I would always enjoy setting up the houses for my Barbie dolls more than actually playing with them. While growing up I would constantly be changing my room around, and preferred to watch HGTV over Nickelodeon.  

2. What is your favorite color story?
As long as a color palette has a shade of blue in it, it's my favorite!

3. How do you get inspired to design a room?
No matter where I am, I am always observing the environment I am in. You never know where you can find inspiration; at a restaurant, in a hotel, or in nature. Houzz and Pinterest are also my best friends. I could find myself getting lost in beautiful interiors all day long. And last but not least, clients inspire me. I love seeing them get excited and light up when the final stages of a design come together.

4. What do you love most about your job?
There are sooo many things I love about being a designer. I think my favorite part is working with people. I have always been a people person, and love getting to serve others so being a designer allows me to do both things I enjoy. 

5. How do you best get to understand your client and what type of design they want?
I get to understand a client’s vision best by listening to them. I try and listen to every detail they describe when explaining what their vision is for their home. This helps steer me as a designer in the right direction towards making their vision a reality in the best way possible.

6. What is you favorite place to travel to? 
I LOVE to travel! I love visiting new places and exploring what they have to offer. My favorite places to go to are around water, especially the ocean. The Outer Banks is definitely one of my favorites. I have a lot of memories there with my family and just absolutely love the scenic views and culture that is has to offer.

I am so excited to be supported by two wonderful women that are going to make what we do so well even better! I am looking forward to seeing what 2015 will bring for the three of us and am happy that we are officially an amazing TEAM that will accomplish great things!

-Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment