Sunday, September 28, 2014

Wallpaper Project: Powder Room

When we moved into our house 8 years ago, the VERY first project I was desperate to complete was removing the dated wallpaper from our powder room. I wish I had a picture of what this room looked like before - the wallpaper was dark green and gold "splatter paint" with shiny brass light and bathroom fixtures. Definitely a mid-90's designer's dream, and a late-2000's designer's nightmare!

After the painstaking process of removing the wallpaper, I painted the bathroom a simple beige, spray painted the brass fixtures "hammered bronze" from Rustoleum, and the room has been that way ever since.

My bathroom then and today - a simple "Pottery Barn Delight"
Fast forward 8 years and I'm ready to spruce up this little gem that was my first - and probably least expensive - project that I have tackled in this house. With all this talk about wallpaper, and the fact that I am now trying to sell this idea to my clients, I've decided to jump on board.

Take note - my husband is TOTALLY OPPOSED to this idea. We have torn down wallpaper in a total of SEVEN rooms between our two homes, and the thought that we are now putting it up (?!?!?) is completely frustrating/pissing him off. I'm taking the approach of just continuing to mention this idea of having the bathroom wallpapered so that by the time it happens, I have worn him down enough that he won't be ridiculously upset when he comes home to a freshly wallpapered bathroom. Fingers crossed.

So, fingers crossed, I have been combing through my new wallpaper books to find something that will work with my existing fixtures (cannot get away with an entire bathroom remodel here), will be fresh and fun, but will be something that I will still like in 5 years. Talk about potential divorce - "oh, honey…….let's take that wallpaper down that you told me never to put up in the first place"!?!

Right now I'm a huge fan of lattice/trellis prints, medallions, and oversized florals. I need something that will work with bronze fixtures, but looks updated, and also works back to the aquas and beiges I have in the rest of the house. I have pictures of my narrowed down choices below - I'm definitely looking for some weigh-ins here - so feel free to comment on your favorite to help me decide!

Medallion Print
This oversized medallion print below is from Seabrook Wallcoverings' Arabesque Collection. It comes in multiple colors, has a little bit of texture to it, an also has a little bit of metallic thread to give that hint of sparkle (check out my blog on Metallics here). The color ways that I have below are aqua, beige and grey. The grey version (#4) is this is definitely one of my front runners.



Oversized Metallic Floral
There is some whimsy to the oversized floral from York's Carey Lind Vibe Collection. If I had silver light and bathroom fixtures, the blue and silver would hands down be my first choice. It makes a cool statement without being too over the top on color, and would be a great way to perk up a tired bathroom.


Metallic silver or metallic gold……tough choice!!

Trellis Print
An easy to love print that is also a classic pattern is the trellis print. The warm grey version of this trellis print below from the Ashford Geometrics Collection from York is definitely in my top three. The metallic aqua trellis print below is also from Carey Lind Vibe Collection.


So, cast your votes by commenting on my blog below and let me know which is your favorite! I'll be posting pics of the finished product soon!!

-Melissa

1 comment:

  1. Love that you're blogging again! I vote for the floral...maybe the gold to go with your fixtures? They're all really nice...can't wait to see how it turns out! --Holly

    ReplyDelete