Thursday, September 11, 2014

Home Decor Launching in 2015!!

It's been almost two years since I posted and the majority of it has to do with the fact that I have been too busy to write anything that I felt would be worth reading. I am beginning to find that by reading other blogs that sometimes just a daily inspirational picture is enough, so my hope is to begin doing something of the sort starting right now.

However, today I have more than just an inspirational picture to post.  I have a HUGE INSPIRATION to share, and wanted to officially do so today. It is a solemn day for most of us in the United States, a time to take a moment of reflection. I still remember sitting at my desk at my first job in the buying offices of the The Bon-Ton Department Stores in York, Pennsylvania, listening to Howard Stern on an official radio (not streaming through the Internet) with the rest of my team. On the show, they were talking through the actual events at the World Trade Center as they witnessed them from their window in the recording studio. I still remember hearing the disbelief in their voices as they said a plane had hit the tower, and then minutes later, that another plane had crashed into the second tower. Since that moment, the landscape of New York City would be forever changed, as would our Country.  So many things have changed, many for the better, some for the worst, in the past 13 years.

Since I sat at that desk 13 years ago, I have worked in the buying offices of three different department stores, merchandised back products for a small chain of stores, baked and sold special order cupcakes for parties and a dessert bar, and started my own interior design business. There are so many things I enjoyed in every single job I have held (and parts of each that I have not), but I have found over the years that my true passion falls somewhere in between decorating homes for others and merchandising and creating products to sell.

About a month ago, I off-handedly mentioned the idea of selling custom home decor items to two close friends of mine. A week later, one of them came back to me and told me that if I was serious, she would sell them for me. Since then, I have lost many hours of sleep turning over this idea in my head, looked through hundred of fabrics, competitive shopped, reached out to local business owners, and have held multiple strategy meetings with my two friends who are helping me start this new venture. Over the past few weeks, I have come to realize that all of the experience that I have gained in the past 13 years has brought me exactly to this perfect point. As of today, I think we have the concept just about right.

There are still many months of planning ahead of us - a website to build, focus groups to host, a product line to finesse, bloggers to contact, and a launch party to plan. My hope is to post the progress here as our excitement and plans for this new venture continue to grow. I am thrilled about expanding our reach and offering my vision of beautifully and affordably decorated homes outside of the Charlotte area!

MUCH more to come, so please follow me as we embark on this new journey!
Stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment