Wednesday, November 16, 2011

SPLURGE vs STEAL - Where to Get Your Office Organized with Style

As more and more companies transition to "alternative work schedules", many of us are lucky enough to find themselves working from home these days.  I recently made the decision myself to leave a job where I was required to sit in a cubicle for 40-50 hours per week to the splendor of working out of my own home office.  Nothing is better than being in your own space that is perfectly organized and decorated just to your taste..........wait, your home office isn't exactly up to par?  (Mine isn't yet either - work in progress).  Well, have I got good news for you!

I was shopping at The Container Store yesterday for closet supplies (Before and After of master bedroom closet makeover to be posted soon!) and decided to check out their office supplies, as well.  Was I amazed at the sights, colors, and patterns before me - never have I seen such a vivid and fun display of paper sorters, boxes, file folders, pushpins, or magnets all in one place!


Here's the SPLURGE
The prices on these are not exactly cheap - anywhere from $5.99 to $12.99 for the paper boxes (yes, per box) and magazine files you see above.


In addition to their colored cardboard box assortment, you can also find the fiberboard multi-colored document storage stackers (above left) for $24.99 (again per box).  Their file folders are a reasonable splurge, especially for that visible file rack on top of your desk - $3.99-$5.99 for a package of 6.  (I figured I could use the inexpensive manila folders from Office Depot for the files that are tucked away in drawers.)

They also offer the Mighty Magnetic Strip for your reminders, phone numbers, or notes for $12.99 in the colors black, white or silver.  My favorite, however, was the Mini Magnetic Strip for $4.99 with their additional color options of blue, green, or pink.  If you need the extra space, who's to say you don't just use 2 of the Minis for their color appeal?

Now here's your STEAL  
If you're looking for something similar to perk up your workspace but don't want to pay those prices, I found my magazine files (white, black, green, orange or black/white stripe available) at Ikea for $3.99 for a pack of 2.  They also offer CD boxes ($3.99 for 2), DVD boxes ($5.99 for 2), or large file boxes ($9.99 for 2) in the same color collection.  Now I'm not sure how many of you buy CDs anymore (apparently they haven't caught onto iTunes in Sweden yet), but the box is great smaller size for other supplies.  Ikea has a large selection of other inexpensive office accessories and can help anyone on a budget get organized with style. 
Kasset Magazine File
Kasset CD/Miscellaneous Storage



Now for the actual organization.....here's a great article with 12 steps to getting and keeping your desk organized.  I'll be posting pictures soon of my home office with my Ikea and Container Store finds when it's ready for viewing.....stay tuned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment