Monday, September 3, 2012

STRIPES! Horizontal, that is......

Happy Labor Day everyone!  I have had a busy summer of travel and spending some quality time with my two-year old.  I am happy to report that preschool is back in session tomorrow, which gives me extra time to keep my blog updated with new ideas!

On our way home from a weekend trip to Charleston this AM, I was catching up on my some of my favorite home decor publications (Southern Living, Traditional Home, House Beautiful, and Martha Stewart Living).  I managed to earmark many pages of ideas, but the overwhelming theme that I kept coming across was horizontal striped drapery panels.  I absolutely fell in love with the drapes pictured below, and am trying to figure out a room in my house to incorporate this idea in!

From September 2012 issue of "Traditional Home"

For years, I have always preferred the idea of turning stripes "on their side" for drapery panels - vertical stripes get lost in the folds and you completely hide half of the pattern by doing this.  The image above shows wide, almost color-blocked, stripes as a bold modern statement in a neutral room.

My dining room, an ongoing project since October 2007!

I had my seamstress turn my more traditional vertical striped fabric on the horizontal for my dining room drapes (above) to bring a little more modern twist on the formal dining room.  Paired with the vertical stripes on the walls, it provides a nice contrast and also allows you to see all of the colors and patterns in the stripes on the fabric.

From Pinterest - Jane Molster Designs out of Richmond, VA

I found this picture a little over a month ago on Pinterest (follow me at pinterest.com/newsouthdesign) and I adored the orange and cream striped drapes featured here.  This designer out of Richmond, Virginia, (my birthplace!) definitely has a similar sense of style to and I love her use of pattern and stripes here.  Based on the amount of repins this picture got, it's definitely a favorite among others, too!

From July/August 2012 issue of "Traditional Home"

The home above in East Hampton, NY, featured a beautiful palette of watery blues and neutrals, and this was the first time that I had seen thin stripes "on the horizontal".  It is definitely has a casual appeal, and again, gives you the opportunity to see all of the colored stripes in the pattern.  The stripes create a nice compliment to the diamond textured rug and medallion pillows without overpowering the room.

Striped candles from www.fivestripes.com, as featured in "House Beautiful"

The other fun striped items that I came across in my magazine reading today were these cool striped candles.  Adding the big wide stripes to the classic taper candles gives them a little attitude, but would work with any decor.  You can find a wide selection of them at www.fivestripes.com, along with striped totes, pillows, and other home decor items.  Happy stripe hunting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment